Need advice? Contact our customer service team as soon as possible before your trip. You can make a booking for you and your pet at the same time by telephone. Want to buy your ticket online? Book your flight on our website, then contact our customer service team as quickly as possible afterwards by telephone to add your pet to the booking.
In the hold
A dog or cat weighing more than 8 kg / 17 lb and up to a maximum weight of 75 kg / 165.3 lb must be transported in the hold. Transporting animals in the hold is limited to 3 animals maximum per passenger. Please note this number may be restricted, depending on the aircraft type.
In addition, please let us know when booking your ticket that you intend to transport your pet in the hold.
Ban on transporting snub-nosed animals in the hold
Snub-nosed animals (such as pugs, boxers, bulldogs and Shih Tzu dogs, or Persian and Burmese cats) are not permitted for transport in the hold on flights provided by Air France.
- Your pet must be at least 10 weeks old* and have all required vaccines.
- You must respect the conditions of transport indicated in the "Conditions for transporting a dog or cat in the hold": travel container size, materials, locking mechanisms, etc. On Air France flights, only hard plastic or fiberglass travel containers fastened by bolts and approved by the IATA (International Air Transport Association) are accepted. In the event of non-compliance with instructions provided in this document, your pet will be denied boarding.
- You must print and present the form “Conditions for transporting a dog or cat in the hold” at the airport.
- Please arrive at the check-in counter 3 hours before departure for an intercontinental flight, or 2 hours before a flight departing within France or Europe (including flights between Europe and North Africa or Israel).
- If you have a connecting flight, please ensure that you have at least 2 hours between flights. You can check in your pet for the first leg of your trip only. Between connecting flights, you must have enough time to collect your baggage and pet, and check them in again for the second flight. You must have all documents required by the authorities in the country in which you have a connection: you will have to undergo police and immigration procedures before boarding your connecting flight.
- During your flight: the captain will be informed that your pet is in the hold and will take the necessary steps to ensure its comfort during the flight (lighting, heating).
Please contact our telephone sales team with any additional questions or concerns.
* 8 weeks for flights within metropolitan France (including Corsica) and flights between metropolitan France and Guadeloupe, Martinique and Reunion. Your pet must be at least 15 weeks old for flights between metropolitan France and French Guiana.
In the cabin
With prior approval from our Customer Service department, you may transport in the cabin:
- dogs and cats weighing less than 8 kg / 17 lb (including the transport bag or container).
- Guide dogs are authorized regardless of their weight.
To be accepted in the cabin, your pet must be at least 10 weeks old and have all required vaccines. For flights within metropolitan France (including Corsica) and flights between metropolitan France and Guadeloupe, Martinique, and Reunion, your pet must be at least 8 weeks old. For flights between metropolitan France and French Guiana, your pet must be at least 15 weeks old.
Your pet must travel in a separate closed container.
- The container must be sufficiently ventilated and enable your animal to stand up and turn around.
- In the Economy cabin, the bag must fit in the space under the seat in front of you.
- Under no circumstances should your pet leave its container during the flight.
- Each animal must travel in a separate travel container.
- Each passenger can travel with only 1 animal.
- Your pet's travel container is considered an additional baggage item and will incur a fee.
Precaution concerning pug-nosed animals
Snub-nosed animals such as pugs, bulldogs, boxers, Pekinese and Shih Tzu dogs, or Persian and Burmese cats can suffer from breathing difficulties in high-stress situations. Please consult your veterinarian before air travel.
- the animal and its container weigh more than 75 kg / 165 lb,
- it is traveling to a country that authorizes animal transport only by freight.
Snub-nosed dogs and cats, such as pugs, bulldogs, boxers, Shih Tzus and Persian or Burmese cats, are permitted for transport by freight on flights provided by Air France.
Purchased items are available for delivery to the following countries: Algeria, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, metropolitan France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Morocco, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, United Kingdom, United States.
Flying Blue members earn Miles with each purchase. And you can even pay in Miles!
- Your animal must have all required vaccines in order to be permitted on board.
- All dogs and cats traveling within the European Union must be identified by an electronic chip. It should also possess a European passport. Provided and completed by an authorized veterinarian, the passport identifies your pet and certifies that it is properly vaccinated.
- Please note: For travel to Ireland, Sweden, the United Kingdom or Malta, additional sanitary conditions apply. We recommend that you check with the embassy of your destination country.
- For travel outside the European Union, consider the regulations enforced in the originating and destination countries (vaccinations, quarantine, etc.).